Some of Spanish Springs High School’s highest-achieving students who “signed” with the university include:
• Michelle Duggan, National Merit Scholarship finalist. Field of interest: art
• Shane Davis, Presidential Scholar. Field of interest: pre-business
• Mark Helleckson, Presidential Scholar. Field of interest: biology
• Karen Randolph, Presidential Scholar. Field of interest: psychology
• Bradley White, Presidential Scholar. Field of interest: physics
“It is my pleasure to congratulate these students on their tremendous academic success,” university President Marc Johnson said. “They are to be commended for their hard work and dedication, and I am so pleased that they have chosen to continue their academic pursuits at the University of Nevada, Reno.”
These “signing ceremonies” are reminiscent of high school athletes’ “signing days” to acknowledge the decision of these “best and brightest” scholars to attend UNR.
National Merit Scholarship finalists, Presidential Scholars and other top scholars are essential for developing and maintaining a superior university. UNR became a sponsoring National Merit Scholarship school two years ago and currently includes 34 National Merit scholars. With more than 10 National Merit scholars to commit to UNR this year and entering in the fall, the number will exceed 40, the largest number ever enrolled at UNR.